Grounding for Power Systems
This 3-day, instructor-led course will explain how to properly ground your facility. The purpose of this course is to show how to overcome any challenges that will arise with the grounding of your electrical system. The basic objectives, fundamental concepts, and current practices for facility grounding are covered. Basic ground fault coordination and protection as well as some challenges associated with these topics will also be discussed. SKM Power Tools for Windows is the software that will be used for demonstrations in this course.
- Basic knowledge of NEC Section 250
- Basic knowledge of IEEE Std. 80
- Basic knowledge of power system components
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Identify the majority of common and some uncommon grounding challenges
- Understand the subject of grounding and bonding from its basic principles to the most common applications in the industry
- Discuss the NEC requirements for proper grounding and bonding, lightning protection, equipment ground fault protection, and coordination and substation grounding grids
- Understand the lightning phenomena and apply that knowledge to grounding systems
- Understand grounding and bonding according to NEC and IEEE standards
Who Should Attend:
Personnel who are involved in the design and maintenance of the facility’s electrical power system and are part of the electrical safety for the facility.